Friday, February 18, 2011

Psalm Nine

On Fridays, my current intention is to Repost something I've previously written. This Psalm comes from Book II of my private collection of Poetics.


Psalm Nine

In the silence of the night
  I am mindful of you,
  O Lord!
Your majesty and goodness
  are ever in my thoughts.

You sustain me, O God!
Your Holy Word comforts me
  and your Creation lifts me up.

Like Paul of Old,
  I am ready to come home.
I am thankful for the Gift
  and yet, I am weary of this place.

The problems overwhelm me;
  the difficulties perplex.
My bones ache and my head hurts.
My breathing is heavy
and my mind wanders
  and is often lost.

My eyes no longer focus clearly,
  neither near nor far.
They water more and more
  as in weeping.

My emotions are ragged
  constantly;
I am wound as tight as a drum.
My nerves are scraped
  as one grates at cheese.

Even after two and fifty years
  I feel yet a child.
“I do not know how to go out
   nor to come in.”

I complain and yet
  do not wish to complain,
for I know I’ve been given
  a great gift with purpose.

My complaints reach the ears
  of good friends.
I’m told I’m doing fine
  but their words provide
  but short-term comfort.

Like Paul, I know it is better
  for family and for friends           
that I stay a while longer
  and finish my appointed chores.

It is your strength
  that sustains me, O Lord!
Your grace is an encouragement
  ever to persevere.

Only you, O God,
  understand fully my plight,
and strengthen me sufficient
  for the day.

Even amidst my weeping,
  I will ever be thankful
  and praise your Holy Name.

Praise the Lord God!
Praise the Lord God Almighty!

4 August 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment