Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What is it about the word 'No?'

I have several Stress Buttons; I suppose most Folks do. I'd like to think that as I get older I'm also maturing and gaining a bit more control regarding my reactions to such challenges, but I know sometimes I don't succeed.

What is it about the word 'No' that People don't/won't understand? It it because it's often couched in smiles and diplomacy? "Unfortunately not." or "So Sorry, but we won't be able to do that for you." or "Yes, this procedure is fairly restrictive, isn't it?" I don't try to be patronizing. I really resist being rude. And I'm pretty good and smoothing over difficulties and offering acceptable alternatives. 

But what is it about some People who think asking their Question several different ways will secure an answer more agreeable to their original purpose? And too, why is bullying and abusing someone seemingly so acceptable in the marketplace? I've seen colleagues in tears and I know I've wanted to bite a hole in the Front Desk at least twice.

I recognize when the stress of the moment is getting to me; there are at least two symptoms: the hairs on my (red) neck stand, and my Sciatica begins to act up.

Dear Guests and Customers and especially Off-Property Visitors -- I'd bend over backwards to assist you. But really, sometimes 'No' means 'No.'

No comments:

Post a Comment