Friday, March 25, 2011

Film Review Reprint: 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'

Film Review/DVD
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Joel Zwick, Director
Time Warner/HBO #91993
©2002   95 minutes

I’m uncertain how I came to view this film. It may well be that my daughter brought it over when I last had ‘The Bug,’ hoping to lighten my day by a little innocuous entertainment.

It must have worked. This movie is delightfully charming! Nia Vardalos has knocked together a script that is witty and quirky and hilarious, intellectually and culturally satisfying, and just plain fun!

Tom Hanks, the executive producer, must have seen something in the possibilities as well, so I stand in good company. We’re guys who are both confident enough to enjoy a good ‘chick flick’ when offered the opportunity.

The casting is superb! Nia, as a seasoned ‘Second City’ player, more than holds her own with veterans Lainie Kazan, Michael Constantine and Andrea Martin. John Corbett is a delight in his roll as Nia’s new and surprisingly non-Greek love interest, Ian.

The film is honest and loving and holds to familial relationships as being wonderfully important. The soundtrack includes just enough Greek tunes and motives to color the action without being overpowering or intrusive.

I even enjoyed watching it with Greek subtitles, this language being one of which I’ve had some minimal instruction. My favorite quote, as given by brother Nick (Louis Mandylor) to Toula (Vardalos):

. . .μην αφήσεις το παρελθόν σου να σου υπαγορεύει το ποια είσαι. . .
άφησέ το, όμως, να γίνει μέρος αυτού που θα γίνεις.

“Don’t let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.” So you see, for the obligatory higher IQ requirement, a little Greek philosophy (well, OK, ‘Dear Abby’) is included.

If you’re considering an easy and light evening of romantic entertainment, I highly recommend this film!

Five Stars this trip!

Russell de Ville
24 March 2006
(original post)







1 comment:

  1. I have watched this movie several times and I enjoy it each time. I do like the family aspect of it. They get on each other's nerves but they couldn't imagine life without each other.

    ReplyDelete