Friday, March 11, 2011

Film Review Reprint: 'Snow Falling on Cedars'

Film Review/DVD
Snow Falling On Cedars
Scott Hicks, Director
Universal  #20558
©1996   128 minutes


I love Cinema! I love exploring and considering what decisions a fine Director chooses in making a film, though I’m certain I don’t understand every aspect of the process.

I must confess I’ve had to watch ‘Snow Falling On Cedars’ several times to really appreciate the interpretation and artistic qualities Director Scott Hicks incorporated. I had read the book several years ago and had forgotten a lot of the detail, so this film was challenging for me at first.

Lots of movies that I enjoy are not so difficult to view. They are often well produced and directed, though not necessarily. Many incorporate the best and most interesting actors, but not always. The movies that interest me can be quite entertaining and easy to watch the first screening, with a very select few ending up in my collection at some point. But ‘Snow Falling on Cedars’ hardly fits this “easy to watch” category; it is truly more of an Art Film.

I re-introduced myself to ‘Snow Falling on Cedars’ as film after reviewing the Soundtrack. I’m a Music Teacher by trade and avocation and came across it when sorting out some CDs at school. Watching it again required focus and concentration on my part and my initial reaction was “This is maybe a two or three-star film -- OK, but not really outstanding.”

It was either Siskel or Ebert – I dis-remember which – who made a comment to the effect that we of this generation seem to lack patience in letting a particular film develop, in letting its storyline and intricacies and details be revealed to us gradually, and often subtly. This may be part of the ‘instant gratification’ that has been incorporated into our collective, post-modern personas; at least this seems true for me.

I will suggest that ‘Snow Falling on Cedars’ is well worth your time. It may be helpful to read the book (again) though I haven’t yet. It may be helpful to go through the Extras on the DVD, though some will say that the film should stand on its own merits. In this instance, I disagree; go ahead and do some homework. (I went to my copy of William Manchester’s fine memoir ‘Goodbye Darkness’ to brush up a little on Tarawa.) Watch it with the sound off. Watch it with the French language track. Listen to the Director’s Commentary at least once. Read the DVD historical background regarding Manzanar. Certainly give especial attention to such great acting moments as Nels’ (Max von Sydow) Summation in chapter 16.  

If you have the interest and patience to do the research and view the film several times over several days, things wondrous and beautiful may reveal themselves to you, as they did to me. Rather than expecting an immediate reaction, consider this work as you would a complex wine, or Ansel Adams’ photographs or a Gustav Mahler symphony: an artistic effort to be experienced time and again. I believe it’s that good.

I recommend this film highly so Four Stars from me.

Russell de Ville
11 March 2011

p.s. I write my Film and Books Reviews for Amazon using the name Russell de Ville. Cute, Huh!

3 comments:

  1. Original Posting Date for Amazon was 4 March 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard thanks for the hint to view this film SEVERAL TIMES, I rarely will go to these lengths. Once scorned, never another chance; maybe if I were a musician I would see things differently. enjoy your writing style much.

    p.s. does anyone "get" the Russell de ville besides me? Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Russell de Ville when I write for Amazon. I'm sure some Friends and Family from my hometown in AR understand my humor in using it. Otherwise I try not to make a big ta-do.

    ReplyDelete